The first large scale case-series showing the benefit of SGB for PTSD. Stellate Ganglion Block Used to Treat Symptoms Associated With Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Series of 166 Patients. Military Medicine 2014
The first multi-centered randomized clinical trial showing efficacy of SGB for PTSD published in a major journal. Effect of the Stellate Ganglion Block Treatment on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms-A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2019
The first study showing which specific PTSD symptoms were most improved by SGB. Effect of Stellate Ganglion Block on Specific Symptom Clusters for Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Military Medicine 2016
The first study of its kind showing that SGB treatment for PTSD can improve global neurocognitive function. Neurocognitive Performance is Not Degraded After Stellate Ganglion Block Treatment. Military Medicine 2015
The first study showing that some patients only respond to a left-side SGB. The successful use of left-sided stellate ganglion block in patients that fail to respond to right-sided stellate ganglion block for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms: a retrospective analysis of 205 patients. Military Medicine 2021
The first study showing behavioral health clinicians support SGB for PTSD. Behavioral health clinicians endorse stellate ganglion block as a valuable intervention in the treatment of trauma-related disorders. Journal of Investigative Medicine 2021
The first study showing the potential benefit of using a two-level SGB. Comparison of C6 Stellate Ganglion Block vs C6 and C4 Cervical Sympathetic Chain Block for Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD): Analysis of 147 Patients. Journal of Neurological Disorders & Stroke 2020
The first comprehensive published treatment guidelines for using SGB for PTSD.
- Clinical Guidelines for Stellate Ganglion Block to Treat Anxiety Associated With Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Journal of Special Operations Medicine Volume 15, Edition 2/Summer 2015
The very first case series published showing the long-term benefit of SGB for PTSD.
- The Use of Stellate Ganglion Block in the Treatment of Panic/Anxiety Symptoms with Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; Preliminary Results of Long-Term Follow-Up: A Case Series, Pain Practice. 2010 Jul-Aug;10(4):359-65. doi: 10.1111/j.1533-2500.2010.
00373.x. Epub 2010 Apr 20.
More supporting studies by Dr. Mulvaney and Dr. Lynch
- Stellate ganglion block treats posttraumatic stress: An example of precision mental health. Brain and Behavior 2020.
- Self-reported Combat-related Symptom Scores Change after Witnessing a Teammate’s Improvement Following Stellate Ganglion Block for Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms. 4th International Congress on Soldiers’ Physical Performance, Melbourne, Australia 2017
Other Peer Reviewed Medical Literature on SGB for PTSD
- Stellate Ganglion Block in the Treatment of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A Review of Historical and Recent Literature, Pain Practice, 2016
- Safety and Patient Acceptability of Stellate Ganglion Blockade as a Treatment Adjunct for Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Quality Assurance Initiative, Cureus 7(9): e320. DOI 10.7759/cureus.320